Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Toilet Paper Roll Wild Bird Treat

            Our state has experienced what I believe to be some of the coldest temperatures and received more snow/ice so far this winter than any other that I can remember.  It has been kind of rough.  Sure…not nearly as bad as folks who live farther north, but in our defense—we’re not equipped for large amounts of snowfall and constant below zero (or very close thereto) temps in my area.
            This means that my little family is still holed up in the house and my children are eager to be actively doing something different.  I’ve been searching for simple projects we can do, to help break up the monotony, and Monday ended up being a good day for us to accomplish this.  I decided on one that is very appropriate for the winter—Toilet Paper Roll Wild Bird Treat.  Not only does this repurpose empty toilet paper rolls, which I think is awesome, but also it helps wild birds survive the tough winter.  It is often hard for them to find consistent food sources in the winter, especially when it may be covered in snow and ice.  Personally, I enjoy feeding birds year-around and have a handful of feeders outside with a variety of different seeds…and I’ll be showing you another project for wild birds soon.
            This is what you’ll need for your own project:


Wild birdseed (I chose one with a variety of seeds—sunflower, millet, etc.).
Cheerios…not a necessity, but my daughter had a cup of Cheerios when we were doing this project, and it seemed like a good thing to throw in.            
Peanut butter
Empty Toilet Paper Rolls
You’ll also need extras like a knife, a plate for rolling your TP rolls in, and a pan or some type of container to place your finished product.

Once you’re ready to begin, carefully place seed on your rolling surface.  The old 13x9 pan I used for this project happened to have a lid so it worked great for rolling our TP rolls in.  Throw in some Cheerios if you like. 


With your knife spread a GOOD layer of peanut butter on the toilet paper roll.  This is NOT enough:



The amount of peanut butter I put on the roll  apparently was not enough.  It’s the one on the right, not that you probably needed me to tell you:



Not really impressive.  You’ll see attempt #2 (on the left) looked a lot better.

            Another tip for you:  I didn’t get good coverage with the seed when I just rolled the TP roll in the seed.  Instead, we placed the roll down in the seed, and used our hands to pour seed over the top like this:



            Then gently use your hands to press it in to the peanut butter.  Turn the roll, letting the excess fall off as you continue to cover and press all the way around.



            We ended up with seven rolls, and doing those with the “help” of a 4-year-old and 2-year-old took quite a while, but not a great deal of time.  It was actually a good distraction for us and they LOVED getting their hands in the birdseed.  Speaking of, if you’re doing this with littles as young as mine, just be prepared for birdseed EVERYWHERE.  Although it was in good keeping with all the crumbs I had on my floor from breakfast, and my daughter's Cheerio break while we were working on this, but a quick sweep took care of it.
            Once you’ve completed your rolls you can either put the rolls directly on your tree branches, or you could slip some string, ribbon, etc. through the rolls, tie it, and then hang on a branch.  For now I'm just planning to slip ours on branches.



I wanted to show photos of them hanging outside, but our day filled up and we didn’t get them out the same day.  Planned to do it Tuesday, but we received an ice storm, so I guess it’s a good thing I was delayed or all of our work may have quickly ended up on the ground.  They are waiting for the bird once it is not raining ice and we look forward to watching the birds enjoy them.


This was also a great opportunity for a homeschool lesson about winter, and birds.  We talked about the types of birds in our area, which would most likely visit our toilet paper roll treats, and looked at pictures of those birds.  Hope that you enjoy this project as much as we did!  Would love to hear what types of birds visit your toilet paper roll treats!

No comments:

Post a Comment