Friday, January 10, 2014

Crocheted Cable Headband

            As I’ve shared before, once winter is here, I have this huge urge to crochet.  It’s therapeutic for me other times of the year as well, but something about being holed up in the house on cold winter days makes me want to have a pile of yarn in my lap, creating something unique.  I’m sure you fellow crafters can relate.  For example, right now, after I finish this post, I really need to dig my way out of the mess my children have made in our living room, but all I want to do is finish the scarf I started for my son last night.  I am using the Star Stitch.  I learned this a few years ago, but hadn’t found the time to use it. I’m not particularly “fast” at crocheting, and it’s a little more time consuming than other stitches (at least to me) when you’re first getting the hang of it—but it’s SO pretty.  I’m so excited about the results so far and look forward to sharing it later.
            I have been cranking out projects left and right over the past few weeks.  Not really sure how, because I have been super busy, like everyone else, through the holidays and trying to get 2014 off to a good start, but somehow that’s the way it has been.
            So today, I have another project to share with you.  Admittedly, I actually finished this project last winter, but today I was going through some boxes (remember my family relocated twice in 2013), and found this tucked away.  I love this project!  I have become fascinated with crocheted ear warmers/headbands, etc…mainly because I feel like I have a somewhat larger than normal head and any attempts on my part to crochet myself a hat has not pleased me.  I just don’t think I look good in them.  Although, I’ve wanted something to cover my ears when I’m out and about…thus the crocheted headband.  It’s a good thing for me.  Plus, they are so cute!
            I’ve been digging up different headband patterns, and I have at least two more that I’ll be sharing with you soon.  For now, I found this pattern here: Cable Stitch "Jenna" Headband Pattern
            She says that she used a size I hook, and that it will fit a size 21” head.  I guess my head is not as big as I thought, because I went a little longer than she suggested to accommodate my noggin (to 22.5”) but it’s too big—probably at least an inch too big.  I just overlap it in the back and fasten the button farther up than I normally would so it works, although with my next one, I will be careful to keep it in the 19”—21” range that she recommends.  Guess it also depends on how snug you prefer it to be.  I like mine to feel secure…but it would not be a bad idea to measure your head beforehand to get an idea of where you might want yours before you begin—or check as you go along.
            The skill level for this project is intermediate, but it’s a great place to begin learning Front Post and Back Post stitches, if you’re not familiar with them.  This pattern uses a FPTR (Front Post Treble Crochet) and BPTR (Back Post Treble Crochet) stitch and as you can see, it creates a nice raised surface in the middle of your headband.  Although since it’s a small project, it will not seem as daunting to familiarize yourself with some of the front and back post stitches, and if you do mess up…it’s not a huge ordeal to start over.  For example, I wouldn’t start an afghan or another type of large project that uses these stitches if you’ve never worked with them, because it’s so important these be executed correctly to have the right affect.  You'll just frustrate yourself and loose a lot of time if you're not comfortable with them before you begin a large project, but the effort it well worth it and will open up plenty more pattern opportunities for you.  
            Here is the completed headband.  Isn’t it cute?  Pretend like there are not scratches on my table. lol




          I tried to get a photo that would show the detail well.  Attempt #2 here:

  

          This probably goes without saying, but just in case--I wanted to note that the headband is doubled here...this is not the full length.  It was hard to get a photo of it all stretched out.  I used Red Heart yarn, color: Burgundy.  Red Heart calls this Burgundy, but I would call it deep red.  Maybe that’s the same thing to some people, but I think it’s prettier than what Burgundy is usually considered.  So, go and make these in a rainbow of colors!  They work up quickly and make a great gift!  To find some crochet inspiration, follow me on Pinterest:  Infinitely More Than I Think on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment