Friday, January 17, 2014

Slouchy Crochet Hat for Little Boy

          My crochet streak continues.  :)  I have another hat to share with you today, and some more crochet projects coming up!  I wanted a new hat for my 4-year-old son, and while he has a variety of beanie type, fitted crochet hats—he did not have a loose fitting, slouchy hat.  I decided to try my hand at it.  Although, let me share some of my motivation for attempting a “slouchy hat.”  As I mentioned in my post about Baby Crochet Camo Hats, my large pouch of crochet hooks was misplaced soon after our last move—incredibly frustrating.  I had found extras of every size hook I own, except size I and J, which were the sizes I needed for several of the projects I’ve wanted to start lately.  I have this thing…where I HATE to buy something again, that I know I own but cannot find; therefore, I had been putting off buying new hooks.  I know…they are very cheap, but again, it’s just the point to me.  This week, I just gave up and decided to replace my size I and J hooks.  Guess what I found the NEXT day?  My large pouch of hooks.  Isn’t it funny how that goes?  I’m very relieved I found them, but irritated I bought the others.   Turns out the size J hook purchase was warranted.  My original J hook has a place in the tip that is snagging my yarn so it needed to be replaced.  How the tip of the hook was damaged is a mystery.  Back to the hat:
So, again, part of my motivation for the hat was due to the fact that I still couldn’t find my pouch of crochet hooks at this point, and K was the only size hook I could find that came close to making sense.  I used a typical fitted hat pattern, with double crochet stitches.  

I did some extra rounds, and finished with two rounds of single crochet stitches.  I’ve shared my appreciation for Red Heart With Love yarn before, and that is what I used for this hat.  It’s Red Heart With Love Yarn, color: True Blue

It is SO soft!  It is definitely the type of yarn you want on your head, and touching your face.  The final product is not quite as slouchy as I was intending for it to be, but it will be something he can wear for years to come because it has plenty of room.  Besides, the purpose of a hat is to keep your ears covered, and your head warm, and that, it will do.  
You can see from the back it’s not as loose as most slouchy hats, but it does have some give to it and a very relaxed fit:


He is pleased so that is what truly counts!  To see more of my crochet inspiration, follow me on Pinterest: Infinitely More Than I Think on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment