Friday, December 27, 2013

Daughter's Crocheted Poncho Completed

                Completing a crocheted poncho for my princess proved to be more difficult than I planned.  After looking through many patterns, I decided on one that is similar to a pattern on Lionbrand’s website.  I would give the website link to the pattern I used, but I found it on Pinterest, and when I tried to click on the link to go to the site, it said the page had been permanently removed.  Here is the pattern from Lionbrand that is similar: Lion Brand Yarn Seashell Poncho
The pattern I was following is supposed to be for 2-3 years of age.  After I had crocheted a few rows, I was looking at the head opening, and thought to myself ‘I wonder if that will go over her head?’ and for some reason instead of stopping right then and checking…I forgot and crocheted right on.  I was only a couple of rows from being finished when that thought popped in my head again.  Ran to see if it would fit…and no, it didn’t.  What a bummer.  Doesn’t it make you sad to see all that work go to waste as you pull out each stitch?  Lesson learned though:  Even though a pattern says it will fit your child’s age, always check BEFORE you’re almost done.  :)  So, for attempt #2, I increased the chain by 4 or 5 stitches, and it worked.  Another note, I did not do the edging, nor the collar around the neck.  It was just my preference to leave it off.  
Red is my favorite color, and I thought adding some red to the charcoal poncho would be a fun and dramatic look.  I almost did a red border on it, but decided a flower would be great.  I wanted a large flower and had a hard time finding one that pleased me.  I ended up using a pattern from pages 93-94 in the book Crochet Bouquet, by Suzann Thompson.  If you are looking for flower patterns, this book is a terrific resource!  There are so many wonderful flowers to choose from—from elaborate to simple; there are tons to choose for any project.  The pattern I used is for a Sweetheart Rose.  The one thing I didn’t like about this pattern:  The book does not suggest what size hook to use…only that you should use “appropriate size hook to achieve a firm gauge with selected yarn.”  I think it is helpful to give an idea of where to start hook-wise so you can make an educated guess up or down depending on whether you typically crochet more tight or loose.  It suggests a medium weight (4) yarn, and says the finished rose will be about 4” in diameter.  I believe mine is probably bigger than that.  I knew I wanted it to be huge, so I used a size N hook.  

It ended up being as big as my hand:



Opinions vary on whether you should use thread or yarn to sew crochet flowers on your work, but I felt since it was such a large flower, yarn might work best so that’s the route I went.  In addition, I was afraid thread might pull through the flower and/or poncho.  I am SO happy with the finished project: 



I cannot wait for her to wear it!  I also made a hat to match her poncho.  I want to add a bow to it before I share photos, but look forward to showing them together.  Any dramatic color combinations you enjoy?  Want to see more of the crochet projects I love?  Follow me on Pinterest: Infinitely More Than I Think on Pinterest
Know a little girl who would look darling in this poncho or a color combination of your choice?  Use the Contact Me page to reach me and order your very own!

No comments:

Post a Comment