Saturday, December 7, 2013

Winter Weather Is Here

We've had a few cold days here and there, but thus far our winter had been mild.  Until yesterday that is!  Temperatures in the teens and 20's arrived and have stayed, along with ice, snow, and more ice.  Yikes!  High for today is going to be an "amazing" 28 degrees, with more wintry weather on the way, I believe.

So, whenever the weather is like this, and I'm holed up in my home (after asking the hubby to make the all important milk and bread run before this weather came in), there are two things I overwhelmingly have the urge to do:  


  1.  Make a huge pot of soup
  2. Crochet until I can't crochet anymore
To address my first desire I am making a simple, comforting pot of Potato Soup today.  There are many wonderful potato soup recipes out there--and there are days when I'm feeling like lots of extras in my potato soup.  However, there are days like today when I'm confined to the house and all I have on hand is the small list of ingredients I need to make this soup, and it does the trick in a pinch.  Here is what you'll need:

Casey's Simple Potato Soup:

5-6 small whole Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
3 stalks of celery, diced
1 small onion, diced (opt)
3-4 cups whole milk (more or less to achieve your desired thickness)
1/2 stick butter
1 Tbsp flour
1-2 cloves minced garlic
Salt and pepper to taste

Add any or all of these delicious toppings, or whatever else your heart desires:
Bacon bits, or chopped and cooked bacon
Cheese
Chives
Sour cream

Directions:
Clean and peel potatoes, cut into pieces; chop celery. Place both in salted, boiling water; cook in medium rolling boil until potatoes are tender when pierced with fork (not falling apart). Drain and mush with potato masher, leaving small chunks for texture if desired.  Return to stock pot or transfer to slow-cooker. In separate bowl, mix milk, onion, flour, water, garlic and butter.  Add to potatoes and celery.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Bring to boil uncovered in stock pot, or bring to simmer in 5-6 quart slow-cooker.  If in stock pot on stove, bring to boil, then reduce to LOW heat and simmer until thickened. Simmer in slow-cooker approximately 3 to 4 hrs on HIGH, or 6 to 7 hrs on LOW. Serve with your favorite toppings.

For my second urge, I am finishing up a few crochet projects.  A poncho for my daughter, and a cowl that I will probably keep for myself.  I'm using a variegated yarn for the cowl and I'm very pleased with the results so far.  I look forward to sharing pics of both when they're done!

No comments:

Post a Comment